The addition of Whisky to this slow cooker pulled pork recipe makes it a real adult treat.
We love hosting parties and get togethers with our friends. Whether it’s a quiet night in with some beers and board games, or a larger gathering around the BBQ late into the early hours, hosting a party as parents allows us a night of socializing and catching up with buddies whilst not worrying about the stress of finding a baby sitter last minute. This slow cooker pulled pork recipe is an easy party pleaser, that is also great value as well as delicious.
As well as entertaining, we both love cooking. Although I still love cooking as much as I did in my pre-parenthood days, I just do not have the time that I used to for slaving over a pot on a dish for the evening. This is where my super simple, juicy and flavoursome pulled pork comes in. Pop everything in the slow cooker in the morning and by party time you’ll have a pot full of goodness for your guests to help themselves too.
We served ours in mini Brioche Sliders and topped with Homemade Crackling (made from the fat stripped from the joints in the recipe, making this a no waste feast). This would be great as an extra topping to any burger, such as our “Snap Crackle and Pop Turkey Burgers”.
If making for yourself, the pulled pork keeps amazingly well once cooked and can be enjoyed hot or cold for several days after. It can also be portioned down and frozen to be enjoyed another day (simply defrost in the fridge overnight). For this recipe I have used roughly 2kg of pork, but you can make this with a larger or smaller joint (it may just take a little more or less time in the slow cooker; but the beauty of pulled pork is that you can’t really overcook it).
Tip: If possible, prepare the pork the evening before and marinate in the fridge overnight. This way the flavours have more time to develop (however, it is still scrumptious if made from scratch on the day)
- 2 kg Pork Shoulder Joint, (between 2-2.5 kg will serve 6 people)
- 2 medium onions, (finely sliced)
- 4 garlic cloves, (finely chopped)
- 240 ml chicken stock
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 50 ml whisky, (or bourbon)
- 1 tbsp salt
- 480 ml BBQ Sauce, Optional
- Remove the fat from the pork joint. If desired, this can be kept and made into pork crackling to serve with the finished pulled pork.
- Combine all the spices and the honey into a bowl. Rub the spice mix all over the surfaces of the pork until covered.
- Cover the bottom of the slow cooker with the shredded onions and add the garlic. Pop the marinated pork on top of this and add the chicken stock.
- Slow cook the pork (6-8 hours on high, 8-10 hours on low). When the pork is ready, it should easily shred when stroked with a fork.
- Remove the pork and shred with 2 forks. Seive the oniony-pork stock from the slow cooker, and add the onions in with the shredded pork.
- Optional: Add a bottle (480mof BBQ sauce to the pork and mix thoroughly.
- Serve immediately, or return to the slow cooker and keep on low (or a keep warm function until required).
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving:Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Pressure Cooker Owners: This recipe can be carried out in the pressure cooker instead of in the slow cooker in a fraction of the time (for one of those last-minute parties that sneaks up on you!). Cook on high pressure for 45 minutes, followed by a natural release of 10 minutes.
Do you have your own hit blend of spices for pulled pork? Or your own go-to party dish? Let us know in the comments, or tag us on social media (@mamamakesdo) so we can see your tasty creations.